Water Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Damage Repair Tips- What to do if you have a water damage.
- Disconnect outlets. As soon as you notice water damage, you should disconnect the outlets near the affected area. If there is a large amount of water that has flowed between levels of the house you may want to turn power off at the breaker box.
- Inspect for mold- has the loss been an on going leak?
- Dry off all surfaces and damp areas- you can use a shop van to help suck up large amounts of standing water.
- Remove damaged and undamaged items out of the affected area.
- Call SERVPRO of Cedar Rapids.
Have A Water Damage Emergency? Call (319) 393-8430
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.